There is help available for carers and the person you care for – this section covers the main sources of support and how to access them.

Getting the help that you need.

Support can be provided by:

Buckinghamshire Adult Social Care can help with:

  • Care in your own home
  • Day Care/Opportunities and Activities
  • Telecare –  gadgets and devices to help you
  • In Touch
  • Respite
  • Equipment in the home

How do you contact them?

Bucks County Council:
Tel: 01296 383 204
Care Advice Buckinghamshire:

Care Advice Buckinghamshire is a website for adults in need of care and support in Buckinghamshire, their families and carers.

Getting help from Social Care:

This begins with an Assessment of Care Needs for the person you care for which looks at:

  • What the cared for individual is able to do on their own
  • What they need help with
  • What help you already have

This determines whether you are eligible for care and support and if so a Personal Budget.

Eligibility for Care:

  • Care and Support needs (for adults) must arise from or be related to a physical or mental impairment or illness
  • Unable to achieve two or more specified outcomes
  • As a result of being unable to meet these outcomes, there is likely to a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing

For further information about the “eligibility criteria”  used to work out if you are eligible for adult social care services – Click here

The eligibility criteria are set by the government as part of legislation in the 2014 Care Act.

For further information about Eligibility Criteria visit


Once an assessment has established a need for help, social services may provide one or more of a variety of services which could include:
Care at home – such as help from care workers, laundry services, meals or telecare.
Care away from home – e.g. residential care on a permanent or temporary basis. It could also include respite care, day centres or short stays in care for rehabilitation.

Occupational Therapy assessment for things that will make living at home easier eg minor home adaptations (grab rails, stair rails), equipment such as raised toilet seats, recommendations to District Councils or housing providers for major structural alterations to kitchens and bathrooms, stair lifts and ramps

Financial Assessment

Social care is means tested and it will look at:

  • Your regular income  such as pension, benefits or earnings
  • Your Capital – such as cash savings and investments, land and property (including overseas property) and business assets

Personal Budget

You, or the person you care for, will normally be able to choose whether to ask social services to arrange a specific service for you or to have a direct payment so that you can buy in the service yourself.

There are advantages and disadvantages to receiving a direct payment that should be considered before you or the person you are looking after make a decision.

Arranging your own care

If you feel that you don’t want social services involvement or if your financial situation means that you will have to pay for care you may want to choose to organise a package of care yourself.

Help for Self Funders

Bucks County Council has a service for people who are not eligible for financial support from them which can advise on how to fund their care.

As well as advice about what welfare benefits may be available, eg Attendance Allowance, they can refer people to three independent financial organisations who offer options to cover their care costs.
For more information call 01296 383304 or email

Care Agencies – there are many care agencies throughout Buckinghamshire offering care in the home. Care workers will help people with personal care (washing, dressing, toileting) at various times of the day. Some offer help with shopping, light housework and sitting service (ie to sit with the person so that you can get out for a short period). Charges vary but are approximately £17 per hour.

All care agencies should be registered with the Care Quality Commission and are inspected on a regular basis. When choosing a care agency it is advisable to check their inspection reports on the CQC website. Also, some care agencies only cover certain parts of the county. Carers Bucks has compiled a care agencies leaflet and the areas they cover – click here for a copy.

Carers Assessments

Carers who are ‘providing or intending to provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis’ for a relative or friend have a legal right to an assessment of their own needs.

The purpose of a Carer’s Assessment is to discuss with social services the help you need with caring, together with help to maintain your own health and balance caring with your life, work and family commitments. It is an opportunity to make sure that your needs are understood and for you to talk about the help you need.

The assessment is free and confidential.

A Carers’ assessment is not dependent on whether the person you care for receives any support from social services. You do not have to be living with the person you care for to receive an assessment, nor do you have to be the sole Carer.